Linear Financial Solutions had gone through quite a drastic management change at the beginning of 2020. It meant most marketing efforts were halted while the new management looked at where to take the business.
- Linear faced tough competition in a very busy B2C market
- While marketing was focused on the consumer, many advisers were taking it upon themselves to promote themselves locally
- This meant inconsistent messaging across the brand
- Little buy-in from higher management on the current strategy, meaning very low budget was agreed
- Linear had no clear direction, and there was a risk that it would be merged into PRIMIS
At this time, a forward-thinking regional sales director from PRIMIS (David Woodbridge) was brought in alongside a caretaker sales director (Donald Fraser) to help drive the business forward. Their plan was to focus on the recruitment of advisers who want to build their own business at their own pace. This meant repositioning the brand and completely pivoting their marketing and communications to a new audience.
The Proposition Clinic
The first step was to hold a Proposition Clinic with Donald and David to work out the new value proposition. In the workshop, we spent a day defining the target market and profiling each. We discussed the big problems faced by each target audience – helping us to define the needs of each.
The Proposition Clinic also focused on what the Linear brand stands for, aside from its parent company. It was important to make sure that Linear had its own brand personality, as it offered something unique to its market.